Requirements for Requesting Birth Certificates

The Consular Section in Washington issues the Iraqi birth statement for children born to an Iraqi father in the states that fall within the consulate's field of operation, namely: Alabama, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Mississippi, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York , North Carolina, South Carolina, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Tennessee, Vermont, Virginia, and West Virginia.

As for the states that fall outside the work area of the Consular Section in Washington, please review or contact the Consulate General responsible for that state to find out the requirements for organizing the Iraqi birth statement.

Requirements for Requesting Birth Certificates:
  • Fill out the form for requesting an Iraqi birth certificate.
  • Original American Birth Certificate authenticated by the office of (Secretary of State).
  • A clear and colored copy of the parents’ Iraqi civil Identification Cards, Iraqi Nationality Certificates, or copies of their Unified National Cards.
  • A copy of the parent’s marriage certificate if marriage is not indicated in their identification cards or their Unified National Cards.
  • If marriage certificate was issued by the United States, it must be authenticated by the office of the Secretary of State
    (Secretary of State).
  • In the case of any of the two parents changing their name, a court order and decision for the name change must be authenticated by the office of (Secretary of State).
  • A prepaid registered mailing envelope.
  • If the mother is not Iraq, a copy of her US passport.
  • The fee for authenticating an American Birth Certificate ($15), in addition to the fee of authenticating the Iraqi Birth Certificate ($15), totaling $30 in cash or a Money Order. The Consular section does not accept personal checks.
  • If more than (60) days have passed since the birth, a delay fine of ($9) will be added to the amount mentioned in the bullet point above.
  • The Embassy issues Iraqi Birth Certificates for children born to Iraqi parents or an Iraqi father exclusively.
  • In the case that the child is born to a foreign father and an Iraqi mother, the Iraqi birth certificate is issued exclusively in Iraq, and the consular section authenticates the birth certificate issued by the United States of America after it has been authenticated by the office of the (Secretary of State).